Friday, October 19, 2007

A sad October day ...



Henry McEnroe (April 25, 2006-October 18, 2007)

I'm writing to tell you of the passing of our sweet dog, Henry. If you were on this blog in July, I posted this photo of him swimming in the lake. He died unexpectedly Thursday.

Prior to an appointment for being neutered on Wednesday, the doctor withheld surgery after detecting a heart murmur and unusual noises from his heart. We had an x-ray and EKG done. We received the results Thursday morning that everything appeared OK. Within an hour of speaking to the doctor, Henry suffered what might have been congestive heart failure. Only our two oldest children were home at the time and were the only ones to witness his final moments. Henry was only 1 year old.

Words cannot describe the grief I feel. He is the second dog we've lost in less than 2 years. Josie, our 12-year-old Westie, had failing health last year and we gracefully put her down and ended her suffering. It was a hurt that I thought I wouldn't feel again in many years. I was horribly wrong.

Henry was challenged from the get-go. He was the runt of the litter and even when we got him, he needed extra TLC. His littermates had been unkind to him and he had open wounds on his underbelly that needed immediate attention. Undaunted by this, we took him home anyway. He bounced back from his early adversity and was a loving member of our family. He craved human companionship - and we reciprocated. I joked that he was my "boyfriend" and he was! He was so much a part of my daily routine from morning until night. My heart aches at the injustice of it all. His life was just beginning.

We are dog people and for others like us, losing a pet is so personal. I am only comforted in the fact that we made his short life on earth a good one. He was cared for, nurtured and oh, so loved! I cannot tell you how many kisses we gave him and how many more he gave us. Henry's needs were simple: a warm lap and a kind hand.

We will miss you buddy. You are forever my boyfriend and little Schnauzer boy and we all love you ...



I hope you find a warm lap to sit on in heaven.
"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached, unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way."
- Author unknown

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth,

My heart just aches for you and your family. Henry was lucky to have you for a year.

Connie said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your family companion....it sounds like he had a wonderful life with you.

Beth said...

Thanks Leslie and Connie. We've been blessed with the comfort of good friends and family during this time.

God bless Henry ...

kris said...

Hi Beth - I'm so sorry to hear about Henry - I know how very, very hard it is to lose a beloved pet. It sounds like Henry had a wonderful year with you and your family. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

kate said...

I am sorry for not having visited earlier. It is so painful to lose a family pet - especially one so very young. I hope you are all doing well.

I also hope that you will blog again soon.

Hugs for you,
Kate ox

Eve said...

Hi Beth,
It's funny how we just happen along and find a blog that touches the heart. On a whim I just started hitting the "next blog" button and yours was about the third that came up and here I am in tears for the loss of your sweet Henry. I know this was a while ago and hope I don't bring up sad memories but I really feel for your family. I'm so glad you found another baby Sasha, she looks adroable but I havent read about her yet.
I love your gardens, they are beautiful and I think you are anything but a recreational gardener!