Sunday, September 16, 2007

Great Garden Quote ...

This sent to me by my wonderful sister ... thanks Barb!

When you see a beautiful flower garden, try to meet the owner. Beautiful gardens are often tended by the nicest and most interesting people.

- H. Jackson Browne, Life's Little Instruction Calendar

Tomorrow would have been my mother's 80th birthday. My mom took off for heaven 15 years ago after battling cancer. Not a day goes by when I don't think of her - whether in a funny or melancholy way. Anyway, I can't help but think that she would be proud of this new passion I have found in gardening.
We lived in a very modest house growing up and mom didn't have a lot of garden space. Our house faced north and I remember she had the most beautiful impatiens. She nurtured those plants all summer long and they were glorious in color - salmon, pinks and purples. I remember her going out in pouring rain to collect rain water from the spouts just so she could nourish her flowers with that precious water. Only now do I understand why she did what she did for her flowers.
So Mom, happy birthday. And if you're looking down on me and my garden today, I hope you give me a thumbs up for effort!

3 comments:

Connie said...

Lovely quote and nice tribute to your Mom. I lost my Mom this year in February. She loved her garden and always had lots of tall hollyhocks all around the house. I grow them too, and now they are a sweet reminder of her.

Beth said...

thanks for sharing Connie!

kris said...

This was a nice post. I often think that my grandmothers would be just tickled to see me working in the gardens. We're lucky to have memories that keep loved ones nearby.